Return to News Item List

Indefinite Leave to Remain (2)

News Item

From April 2007, holders of work permits and other categories leading to permanent settlement after the 5 year qualifying period set out above must be able to pass the test of English Language and Knowledge about the UK before Indefinite Leave can be granted. If it appears that this new requirement may be difficult to achieve without some training, then you (and your employer) will need to apply to extend your basis of stay, (including your work permit if you are here under the work permit scheme) until success in the test is possible. This new criteria will apply to all applicants aged 18 or over, and will therefore include the spouse of a person who is here under one of the categories that lead to permanent settlement.