European Community | Worker Registration

The European Community
EEC Workers - The EC was enlarged in 2004 with ten Accession States, and is now enlarged again with two more states - Bulgaria and Romania. If you are a national of any one of the ten countries listed below (under the 2004 heading), then you will be able to come and work in the UK without any problems, but workers have to apply in their first year for a residence approval, (under the Worker Registration Scheme) with evidence of their employment. After this period a 5 year normal EC residence will be given if the employment is continuing.

However, for Bulgaria and Romania employers must obtain a Work Permit after which the worker must apply to the Home Office for an "Accession Worker card". Self Employment will be allowed for all new member states.

The 5 year residence is not obligatory for the first 18 countries listed aside. The fact is that nationals of these countries cannot be prevented from working in the UK unless they have committed serious crime, or are a living on the UK's public funds (claiming benefits) and avoiding work.

Nationals of Switzerland are also accepted for employment study or business in the UK on the same basis as EC nationals

Students can apply for a residence permit, which will be limited to the period of the course, but on taking full employment here, a 5 year residence can be applied for.

Retirement in the UK is also possible for members of the EC. It is important that they can show that they have become pensioners in their own country, and can transfer their pension payments to the UK.

Financial Independence I.e. Having sufficient money to live on without working or claiming state benefits can also lead to a residence of the UK for EC nationals.

Family Dependants (Parents, grandparents, children, brothers and sisters) of EC workers are allowed to come and live in the UK with the EC worker. If they do not have an EEC passport, a Visa (Family Permit) will be needed. BUT From 30 April 2006, dependants who do not hold an EC passport who normally have to get a visa to come to the UK, and who are only visiting the UK with the EC passport holder (who is also visiting) for no longer than 6 months DO NOT REQUIRE A UK VISA. It must be clear that only a visit is intended, and it will be helpful to show dated return tickets if the visa waiver for dependants is to be used.

EC Countries Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Iceland*, Italy, Liechestein*, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway* Portugal, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom *EEA Countries

Accession States (2004) Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia

New Accession States (2007) Bulgaria, Romania

Treated as an EC Country Switzerland

Back to the Top